"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
~Gandalf, The Fellowship of the Ring

Saturday, February 8, 2014

A Change of Heart

Dear Jane Austen,

In the past, I have often rather egotistically declared that although I didn't dislike your books, they didn't really meet my standards of great literature. I claimed to tire while reading your books because they were long-winded without the seriousness that makes the ending worth the wait. Obsessing about manners an propriety, focusing too much the upper class, not pushing hard enough for societal reform: These are the things I accused you of.
After reading Pride and Prejudice for the third time (last time, I was 15), I realize how wrong I've been. Your books have a wit and wisdom, an insight into human nature and behavior, a certain perceptiveness that I believe is truly rare. Instead of advocating for change in legal or economic practices, your novels hope for a change in how we think of and treat others. Instead of transporting me to India or showing me the lives of the poor, your novels give me insight into my everyday experiences.
Please accept my sincerest apologies. My skepticism came from a lack of depth in my own lived experience, not a lack of depth in your writing. Thank you for the opportunity to see your world and my world in a new way through your novels. Reading Pride and Prejudice for the third time has been a pleasure.

Your newest fan,
Lauren Fine


No comments:

Post a Comment