"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
~Gandalf, The Fellowship of the Ring

Sunday, February 2, 2014

For My Purpose Holds

I cannot rest from travel: I will drink
Life to the lees: All times I have enjoy'd
Greatly, have suffer'd greatly. . .
For always roaming with a hungry heart
Much have I seen and known; cities of men
And manners, climates, councils, governments,
Myself not least, 

In 2013. . . 

I gained a wonderful new sister

I made a feline friend

I climbed to the lookout of the angels

I saw Radioactive Underdogs on Top of the World

I saw miracles take place in young hearts (including my own)

I shared my testimony of Christ with millions through song

I finally caught the bouquet

I recognized some weaknesses
and was reminded that weak things become strong

I marveled at the beauty of the earth

I took the next step 


I partied...
and partied...
and partied...

(I'm the activities chair in several organizations—partying is my job)

I made many new friends

and was reunited with many old ones


I was lost
I was found

I cried for pain
I cried for joy

I taught
I learned

I laughed
I loved

I lived.

How dull it is to pause, to make an end,
To rust unburnish'd, not to shine in use!
As tho' to breathe were life! . . .

This year...

I will not "pause or make an end"
I will graduate from college
I will run a half marathon

I will remember my God
I will conect with others on a deeper level
I will experience another way of life

I will start a graduate program (somewhere...)
I will do things I am afraid of
I will travel with my best friend

I will continue in hope and faith. . .
To follow knowledge like a sinking star
Beyond the utmost bound of human thought. . . .
for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die. . . .
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

(Ulysses by Tennyson)

No comments:

Post a Comment