"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
~Gandalf, The Fellowship of the Ring

Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Year Is Going, Let him Go

"Ring out the valiant man and free,
The larger heart, the kindlier hand;
Ring out the darkness of the land
Ring in the Christ that is to be."

(From In Memoriam by Tennyson - I highly recommend reading CVI, at least)

This Year…

I got to know myself more
I was reunited with all of my siblings (at once!)

I ran my first 10K (very slowly)
I climbed on a Neolithic stone circle 

I discovered my love of yoga
I got closer to the perfect balance
I fell in love with The Doctor

I taught a college class for the first time
I wrote poetry in poetry’s backyard

I discovered the influence one person can have
I was reminded how little we can do without One certain person
I celebrated Halloween in a scholarly gentleman fashion

I wrote a dozen letters
I read at least a dozen books
I conquered 11,749 feet

I experienced many worlds within one city
I decided what my future (probably) holds
I recognized the universal love of my Savior 

I succeeded
I failed

I taught
I learned

I sang
I loved

I lived.

Next Year…

I will spend more time outside myself
I will run another 10K
I will appreciate the little things
I will take the GRE and apply to grad school
I will take myself less seriously
I will improve my teaching skills
I will look for common ground
I will be a better friend
I will fail and I will succeed
I will seek, and as promised, I will find

“For my purpose holds to sail beyond the sunset… to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.” (Tennyson, once again, this time from "Ulysses") 

2 comments: