"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
~Gandalf, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Poetry?

Sometimes (very rarely) I write poetry. I have friends who write good poetry and share it with me, so I guess a small part of me has been inspired to step out of the realm of prose every now and then, if only to have something to share at our open mic poetry nights. My poetry kind of looks like prose where I hit enter a few extra times, but hey, I tried. Enjoy this sample. Maybe I'll share my other stuff at some later date.


Solitude
We’ve all been friends with him at some point
A good friend he has been to me of late.
He’s easy to be friends with
Easy because he knows us
Easy because he doesn’t expect us to be something
Easy because he doesn’t interfere with our dreams.

Yet, sooner or later, we all seem to get tired of him.
Rather cruel of us, really
When he’s been there in all of our dark times.
Is it his presence that makes them dark? You ask.
Some may think so
But I don’t.
He has been there in many of my happy times, too.

Yet he does not make us happy.
Comfortable? Perhaps.
Better? Usually.
Happy? No.

But I think we need him.
For in learning to live with him,
We learn to live with ourselves.
And only in learning to appreciate him
Can we ever leave him behind.

Ironic, isn’t it?



No comments:

Post a Comment