"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
~Gandalf, The Fellowship of the Ring

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Thesising

I remember when I learned that in order to get tenure, English professors usually need to be in the process of publishing a book by their third or fourth year of teaching (when they are being considered for tenure). At the time, the idea of publishing  an entire book of scholarly writing seemed like I pretty daunting task for me.

Now that I've written my honors thesis and have several ideas for articles I could write on related topics, writing a scholarly book seems like a perfectly reasonable goal. And as my favorite professor once said about his own writing, ones and ones of people across the country might read it—who wouldn't want to spend their life on that? ;) One chapter down, 5 or 6 more (plus an intro and conclusion) to go.

Academia, here I come.


In case you can't tell, this is a picture of 41 pages of my own writing, 6 pages of sources, at least a couple hundred hours of work, and a whole lot of satisfaction.

P.S. Wooohoooooo!!!!!!

1 comment: